Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Observing my community as it pertain to religion, it is predominantly Christian.I have noticed that Christianity is practice in a less restrictive way, moving away from most of those strict rules, like issues on marriage, divorce, and attire. Considering themselves very liberal, calling themselves Reform Christian.
This week my compassion was focus on the medical community, how decisions are made regarding life, death, and removal of life support. A patient I had to care for was removed from all life support system except morphine for comfort. This was the wish of this patient prior to admission,except that this information was presented to the hospital long after the patient was placed on a ventilator and was ween. Ten days after no food or water, here I was caring for this patient. I felt like I had taken on myself the burden of suffering for this patient, watching the journey of the final days of ones life in such manner. This was far from Hinduism regarding the final stage of life giving oneself totally to meditation and devotion. I felt that this was misery at it's worse,and of course my feelings could be influence by my strong Christian believes.I thought of karma,moksha, atman, and reincarnation and wonder how is this patient handling all this.

The things that I find that affect and trouble most community including mine is the desire to receive,most people focus on commercial things, competition to win, and the world of cell phone, electronic has totally consume our community. People are unaware of their surroundings. There is no time for spiritual devotion, the admiration for nature, like the changing of the leaves how colorful and beautiful. The desire for things (tanha) is of the highest priority which most times caused misery (dukkha).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. We get so caught up in our live that we don't take time to appreciate what is going on around us. I like how you used perspective.
For you misery, but for the patient maybe something different. The beginning of new life or nirvana.